by Cathy Jones
‘Koorianda’ 5-7 Broughton Rd Homebush was the home of former Mayor George Davey. The house is located at 5-7 Broughton Road Homebush and was built in 1916.
Davey was the principal of flour millers Edwin Davey & Sons and one of key figures in the development of the flour industry in Australia. Davey lived at ‘Koorianda’ until his death in 1954 at age 80 years.
Davey is an important figure in Strathfield’s history as Mayor of Strathfield (1926-7) and a long serving Alderman (1922-1948). Davey’s period of office covered the Depression and World War 11 as well as rapid expansion in population and residential development in Strathfield and Davey advocated extensions of street planting schemes, acquisition of land for public parks and planting of trees and shrubs in parks, gardens and reserves. When the Strathfield Railway Station was extended in the 1920’s, Davey insisted on acquiring additional land on the southern side of the Station to create a public space, which is now Strathfield Town Centre. Davey Square and Davey Square Memorial are named for him.
The photograph of ‘Koorianda’ was provided by John Love, a descendent of George Davey.