By Cathy Jones
‘Gwendoline’ 13 Albyn Road was built c.1882 for Captain William Cargill. Cargill occupied the home until 1889 naming the house ‘Lanilohia’. Cargill married Jessie Wallace Moodie (d.1911), daughter of Captain Robert Troup Moodie, who lived at ‘Kima’ 11 Albyn Rd. Captain Cargill died in 1902.
From 1890 to 1893, the house was owned by by Mrs L M Hassall, who renamed the house ‘Bundulla’. John Bennett was the occupant from 1895. Mrs Esther Jones Threlkeld lived in the house from c.1897 to 1901 (her death), renaming it ‘Gwyndoline’. She was followed by E W Hine in 1901.
The house was owned and occupied by Sarah Lloyd Gravely from 1902 to 1925 (her death). Ownership transferred in 1926 to Maramaduke E Masterman, a mill owner, who was the owner until at 1936. Masterman called the house ‘Valetta’.
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory, 1880-1932/3 published until 1932
Strathfield Council valuation lists and building registers.
Wise’s Post Office Directory