by Cathy Jones
‘Rutland’ 1 Arthur Street Strathfield was the first house built on the Badgery Estate.
‘Rutland’ was built in 1918 for engineer Robert and Sophia Kilborn, on the corner of Coventry and Eston Streets (now known as Mackenzie and Arthur Streets) Approval was granted to build a brick cottage at an estimated cost of £1300 for Robert Kilborn on 15 January 1918.
Robert Kilborn, an engineer, died in July 1920 though the house continued to be owned by his widow Sophia (d.1938) and later, his son John. In 1942 the house was sold to Major Frederick Phillimore Howell-Price DSO (1888-1978). Howell-Price served was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for bravery serving at Gallipoli and other theatres of war during WWI. In 1958, the property was subdivided into two lots, with the tennis court at the rear subdivided from the house.
In 1958, ownership of the house transferred to John and Evelyn Davies.
In the 1960’s, this house operated as the Bromalaw Private Hospital and later the Heatherbrae Boarding House.
Australian War Memorial Encyclopedia
Department of Valuer-General, Valuation List, Municipality of Strathfield
Land Title search, NSW Department of Lands
Rookwood Cemetery Transcriptions, Society of Australian Genealogists, 2003
Sands Sydney Directory
Strathfield Council Meeting Minutes January 1918