by Cathy Jones
In 1870, cattle and sheep yards were erected near Homebush Railway Station and were progressively expanded (Fox 1986: 43). In 1882, the saleyards and resting paddocks then known as Flemington Saleyards became the central saleyards for Sydney (Jones, 1985: 147). They were opened in 1882 by John Harris, then Mayor of Sydney, amid much protest from Strathfield Council. In 1884, Flemington Station opened with a footbridge connected to the saleyards (Fox 1986: 43).
In 1915, the State Abattoirs were transferred from Glebe and opened at Homebush Bay. The Flemington saleyards operated until 1967 when they were transferred to the Homebush Abbatoir site (Fox 1986: 43).
The former Flemington saleyards site was redeveloped into Flemington Markets, now known as Sydney Markets. Sydney Markets including Paddy’s Markets were opened in 1975.
Fox & Associates, 1986, Strathfield Heritage Study
Jones, M., 1985, Oasis in the West, Allen and Unwin
The Echo, 1890