‘Meyrick’ 82 Burlington Road Homebush was built in 1888 for John Rayden Bingle (1829-1889), a prominent shipping and commission merchant, who was the first occupier of the house which he named ‘Meyrick’.
Bingle was born at Scone, New South Wales. His father Captain John Bingle arrived in the colony in 1821, and began business as a general merchant and afterwards went into grazing pursuits, as well as involvement in the coal trade of Newcastle. Bingle was educated at Rugeley, Staffordshire and once returned to New South Wales followed various pursuits including squatting, merchant and mining agent. Bingle married Frances Corlette in 1859. According to his entry in Men of Mark (1889), Bingle was appointed consul for the Netherlands, Italy and Portugal, and was created Knight of the Iron Crown of Italy. However, according to NSW Gazette Notices, he and his businesses were frequently declared insolvent, which may account for his short ownership of Meyrick.
The house was advertised for sale in September 1888 in the Sydney Morning Herald. The advertisement stated:
DESIRABLE COTTAGE. HOMEBUSH.
On a pretty rise, with right aspect. The district is par excellence in respect to health and gladsome views. This property is only six minutes from station, favoured with many through quick fast and mail trains daily. It is well built of brick, slate roof, having verandahs front and rear, wide hall, 6 dwelling rooms (two by folding doors), bathroom, kitchen, washhouse (fitted), 2 pantries, linen closet. The mantels arc marble, hearths are tiled, and asbestos fire.
LAND is 55ft. to BURLINGTON-ROAD, depth 200ft., adjoining residences of Messrs. Pain and Neil. Gas and Nepean supply water are laid on.
RICHARDSON and WRENCH will sell by public auction, at the Rooms, Pitt-street, on FRIDAY, September 28, at 11 o’clock, MEYRICK. at Homebush, near the Wesleyan Church, and seen from station; specially built for vendor, whose appointment to the country is the only cause of sale.
Inspection recommended. Terms liberal. Key at Mr. McNeil’s. adjoining on west.
John Frederick Docker, an accountant, purchased the house in 1889 and was the owner and occupier of ‘Meyrick’ until his death in 1905. Docker was the brother of Judge Ernest Docker and son of Joseph Docker, grazier, composer, magistrate and Member of the NSW Legislative Council. Docker, perhaps due to financial difficulties, committed suicide at the age of 51 years at his place of business in the city leaving his widow Lily and eight children
Following Docker’s death, ownership of the house transferred to his wife. By 1924, the house owner was Alexander George Stanton, an accountant. By 1957, ownership transferred from Stanton’s estate to Nona Matthews.
1888 ‘Advertising’, The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954), 24 September, p. 12. , viewed 23 Jul 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13697605
1859 ‘Family Notices’ (Marriage J R Bingle to Frances Corlette), The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954), 11 February, p. 6. , viewed 27 Jul 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article28630538
1889 ‘LOCAL AND GENERAL.’, Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners’ Advocate (NSW : 1876 – 1954), 5 February, p. 4. , viewed 11 February 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article138842772
1881 ‘OFFICIAL NOTIFICATIONS.’ (Appointment of J R Bingle as Vice-Counsel to Portugal), The Sydney Daily Telegraph (NSW : 1879 -1883), 1 October, p. 7. , viewed 27 Jul 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article238314105
SUICIDE OF AN ACCOUNTANT. (1905, March 2). The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954), p. 3. Retrieved February 11 2020, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14682683
Commonwealth of Australia Electoral Rolls
Digby, E, Men of Mark (Appendix), p15, 1889.
Department of the Valuer General NSW – Valuation List – Valuation District of Strathfield
Sands Sydney Directory published until 1932/3 by John Sands
Strathfield Council Meeting Minute
Wise’s Post Office Directory published by H. Wise & Co