By Cathy Jones
The section of Burlington Road, where ‘Wairakei’ 16 Broughton Road is situated, between Beresford Road and Rochester Street, is Section 5 of the 1878 “Village of Homebush” Estate. Residential development commenced in the 1800’s in this section of Broughton Road. Typically, the earliest homes were set on multiple lots of land with extensive garden settings.
‘Waireakei’ is a Victorian Italianate house cottage built in c1893. The first owner is Miss Lillian Pain, who occupied the property with other members of her family including Henry Pain and George Pain until c1904, when the house was sold to Reginald Dobbin (1863-1912), a banker. The house was then known as ‘Noveba’. Dobbin married Ethel Ritchie, daughter of R A Ritchie, MLA. Following Dobbin’s death, the house was rented.
From 1914-1917, it was occupied by George A Davey and then by Alexander MacFarlane. By 1923, ownership transferred to Thomas Frederick Warbrick, JP, a builder. Warbrick renamed the house ‘Wairakei’. Warbrick served as Mayor of Concord from 1918-1919.
Warbrick died in 1951 and the house was then leased to Horace and Enid Collins. Horace Collins was a manufacturer. By 1957, the Collins’ acquired ownership of the house.
RE will of THOMAS FREDERICK WARBRICK, late of 12 (1951, May 4). Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales (Sydney, NSW : 1901 – 2001), p. 1353. Retrieved September 12, 2018, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article220111458
Department of the Valuer General NSW – Valuation List – Valuation District of Strathfield 1924-1966
Notice of Land Transfer under Local Government Act 1919
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory
Strathfield Council Valuation Lists 1894-1919