By Cathy Jones
1, 3 and 5 Wakeford Road are built on the land formerly occupied by the house ‘Mooramoey’, formerly owned by Malcolm McInnes. This house was originally known as ‘Couranga’, occupying the corner of The Boulevarde and Wakeford Road, the home of William and Clara Quodling. Quodling was an engineer and Clara (nee Wilshire), a member of the extended Jones, Thompson and Wilshire families who lived in Strathfield in the first half of the twentieth century.
The house was acquired by builder Stephen Marsh, demolished and subdivided into two residential blocks at 1, 3 and 5 Wakeford Road Strathfield, respectively Lots A, B and C.
3 Wakeford Rd was built in 1954 for owner Florence Grennan by builder E Swaison at cost of £10,300. The Grennan family were the owners for over 20 years. There is similarity to the house at 1 Wakeford Road, which was designed by architect John Brogan, who was well known proponent of this Tudor/Old English style.
Brogan, A John R Brogan: A Career in Practice, An unpublished B Arch dissertation, UNSW 1994.
Department of Valuer-General, Valuations Lists, Municipality of Strathfield
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
Strathfield Council Building Register