By Cathy Jones
Early land owners of lots from the Redmire Estate were John and Donald Vernon. Donald Vernon was traffic manager of NSW Railways and built the home ‘Parkstone’ (which has been demolished but faced Margaret Street). John Vernon, the NSW Auditor General, built ‘Springfield’ (which has been demolished and faced Redmyre Road). The Vernon’s subdivided their land c.1880 as the ‘Mount Vernon Estate’, which created Vernon Street, Brunswick Street (then called Redmyre St) and lots on Redmyre Road and Homebush Rd. Properties 34 to 70 Redmyre Road are built on the Mount Vernon Estate.
‘Ballina’ was built in 1903 as the home residence of Thomas Holley, who operated a produce, fuel and general store in Redmyre Road. Holley died in 1939 and by 1941, the house was in the ownership of Strathfield Municipal Council. Council had also acquired the lots from Holley’s estate on which the Baby Health Centre and Croquet Club were built (50-52 Redmyre Road).
In September 1951, Strathfield Council sold the house to Maurice Brendon Moroney, public servant, for £5200. In May 1954, the house was sold to barrister Ray Loveday for £5650.
In July 1959, Loveday sold the house to John and Joan Taylor for $29,000.
Sands Directory for Sydney and Suburbs 1900-1932
Strathfield Council Building Application Registers
Strathfield Council Valuation Lists 1894 to 1960
Strathfield Council Notices of Land Transfer (1927-1960s)
Wise’s Post Office Directory 1908, 1936