By Cathy Jones
Woodward Avenue Strathfield is located on the 1867 Redmire Estate. The street is named after James Woodward. Woodward was a partner in the retail business, David Jones & Co. In 1874, Woodward purchased ‘Wakeford’s Orangery’ with Davidson Nichol from William Wakeford. This land was then surveyed by F H Reuss Jnr and subdivided for residential development as the ‘Woodgreen Estate’. This estate created Woodward Avenue, Alviston Rd [now known as Parsons Avenue], Woodgreen Rd [now Torrington Avenue], Nichol Parade and Strathfield Avenue.
The ‘Woodgreen Estate’ was marketed by real estate agents Hardie & Gorman for on-site auction on July 31st 1880. The advertisement marketed this estate as:
‘Four minutes walk from Redmyre Railway Station, Nine minutes walk from Burwood Railway Station and Seven Minutes Walk from Homebush Railway Station’.
‘These grand improved suburban properties having an area of over FORTY 40 ACRES with Frontages to The Boulevarde [100 feet wide, made and planted with trees]; Railway Street, Homebush Road, Woodward Avenue, Nichol Parade, Alviston Road, Woodgreen Street, Strathfield Avenue’
‘Situate on the Crown of the Hill, opposite to and near the residences of C E Pilcher Esq, MP; T J Thompson, Esq; Dr P Sydney Jones, Mrs Nichol, H C Fraser Esq and T B Rolin Esq, have been subdivided into LARGE blocks, varying from ¼ to ¾ acre each and will be sold at Auction on the Ground at 3pm sharp Saturday 31st July’
The earliest buildings on Woodward Avenue were built on the land closest to The Boulevarde, which were larger in size than those closer to Homebush Road. This area is also located closer to Strathfield rail station.
Part of Woodward Avenue is designated as a heritage conservation area, which includes properties on Woodward Avenue, The Boulevarde and Albyn Road. The houses on Woodward Avenue included in the conservation area (2-28) are Victorian in style and all were built in the 1880’s. Woodward Avenue’s street trees are generally crepe myrtles.
Part of Woodward Avenue faces the rear of Torrington Road and the street does not two sides. The unusual road alignment is due to the mansion ‘Torrington’ which occupied the land facing Woodward Avenue.
‘Oberon’ 4 Woodward Avenue Strathfield
‘Blandford’ 6 Woodward Avenue Strathfield
‘Lavicole’ 14 Woodward Avenue Strathfield
‘Nungar’ 16 Woodward Avenue Strathfield
‘Hillcrest’ 26-28 Woodward Avenue Strathfield