By Cathy Jones
‘Widgewong’ 89 Abbotsford Rd Homebush is a one and a half storey brick Interwar California Bungalow style face brick house.
The houses located at 85, 87 and 89 Abbotsford Rd land once made up the rear grounds of the house ‘Marlborough’ 96 Abbotsford Road, then owned by Henry Uther. After the sale of the land, the three houses at 85, 87 and 89 Abbotsford were built between 1923 and 1926.
89 Abbotsford Road was built in 1923 for its owner Ernest Lundie, who named the house ‘Widgewong’. A building application was approved in November 1922 to construct a brick dwelling with tiled roof with more than six rooms. The builder was A E Gazzard, of Abbotsford Road Homebush. The estimated value of works was £1300.
Lundie sold the house to storekeeper Roland Thompson, a storekeeper, in 1929. The house was renamed ‘Aerodrome’. The Thompson family remained the owners until 1976.
Department Valuer General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
Land Title Search
Strathfield Council Building Register Vol.2
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directories 1925-1932/3