‘Gowan Brae’ is built on the ‘Village of Homebush’ Estate, a 1878 subdivision of the larger Underwood Estate. The house is described on its heritage assessment sheet as:
This single storey Victorian villa is located on the corner of Meredith Street and is constructed of rendered brick. A return verandah features bays addressing both streets. Decorative elements incude arched top windows, rendered labels, decorative timbers barge, quoins, eaves brackets and medallions, pilasters to bays, decorative wall tiles and fan and sidelights to entry door. An unsympathetic new roofing material detracts from the overall appearance of the building. This villa is of local significance as an early corner element that retains many fine features of housing from the late nineteenth century and as an early building of the 1878 Underwood Estate.
‘Gowan Brae’ 62-64 Abbotsford Road is located on part Lot 14, Section 8 of the Village of Homebush Estate. By 1886, lots 11-14 were owned by Alexander Gregg. Gregg’s land included sites on which 60 and 62-64 Abbotsford Road are built. Gregg was managing director of real estate agency Richardson and Wrench and lived at ‘Dunisla’ The Crescent (formerly Homebush Crescent) Homebush.
Gregg commenced employment with Richardson and Wrench as a clerk but later became a partner. After the retirement of founders Robert Richardson (c.1827-1900) and Edward Wrench (1828-1893), he and his brother James became the principles of the firm and converted the firm into a public company. Gregg died in 1915.
By 1889, a house was built on this site. The likely builder was local builder John Waugh. Waugh was responsible for building many houses in Homebush during this period, including houses located at 16-24 Meredith Street and ‘Strathayne’ 60 Abbotsford Road Homebush. The house was tenanted until it was sold by Gregg around 1911.
From 1912, the house was owned by George Henry Davey, a railyard master. From 1924, the house was owned by Edward Paine. Paine’s occupation was noted as buyer for the Riverstone Meat Co, Hay St, Sydney
The house was sold in August 1962 by Alice Paine to Kee Timm Leong for £8000 pounds.
Fox & Associates, 62-64 Abbotsford Rd Heritage Inventory Sheet [no. 81], 1986.
Strathfield Council, Minutes of Council Meetings
Department of the Valuer General NSW – Valuation List – Valuation District of Strathfield
Notice of Land Transfer under Local Government Act 1919