By Cathy Jones
The land on which the Strathfield Croquet Club is located was owned by Thomas Holley, who operated a produce, fuel and general store. In 1941, the site was acquired by Strathfield Council from Holley’s estate for £2750. Council built a Baby Health Centre at the land facing Redmyre Road in 1944 and Strathfield Croquet Club in 1946 at the rear.
Strathfield Croquet Club, 50 Redmyre Road, was formerly part of Strathfield Recreation Club, which was established in 1881 as the Union Recreation Club with tennis and bowling facilities. Croquet was established at the Strathfield Recreation Club in 1922 and was separated from this Club in 1941 and relocated to the Redmyre Road site. This site has been continuously leased by Strathfield Council to Strathfield Croquet Club since 1946. The relocation of the Croquet Club permitted the expansion of Bowling Greens at Strathfield Recreation Club.
The Croquet Lawns site has two croquet lawns and an amenities building, which serves as a small clubhouse for members of the Strathfield Croquet Club. The Clubhouse was given by the Firth family to honour of Clara Ruth Firth a committed Club member, and several times Club President and Club Champion. Clara was the wife of John Robert Firth, principal of P J Firth paper and cardboard manufacturers, Alderman (1911-1948) and Mayor of Strathfield (1916-17, 1927-1931).
The Clubhouse was officially opened on 29th May 1947. The Clubhouse was presented to Strathfield Council by the Firth family for use in connection to the Croquet Lawns and as a mark of their love and affection for their mother.
Allen, H & Jones, S., A short history of the Strathfield Recreation Club 1881-1956, 1956
Department of Valuer-General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield
Sands Directory for Sydney and Suburbs 1900-1932
Strathfield Council Building Application Register
Strathfield Council Meeting Minutes May 1947
Strathfield Council Valuation Lists 1894 to 1920
Strathfield Council Notices of Land Transfer (1927-1960s)
Wise’s Post Office Directory 1908, 1936