By Cathy Jones
By c.1893, this house was owned by Charles Hursthouse Stanger, who named the house ‘’Wisbech’ after his birthplace Wisbech, Cambridgshire, England. Stanger, the Locomotive Superintendent of NSW Railways, was listed as the occupant until 1906. The house was then owned by William Morris, an accountant and his wife. In 1922, the house was acquired by Elizabeth Stewart and her husband Malcolm Stewart. Malcolm Stewart served with the AIF and later Royal Flying Corps during WWI. He was an marine engineer and later worked as an engineer at Homebush Abattoirs. He and his wife Elizabeth moved to Austinmer c.1942 where he worked with Returned Soldiers League (RSL) in granting pensions for ex-servicemen. During this period, the house was likely rented. Malcolm Stewart died in 1950 and in the same year, Elizabeth Stewart sold the house to Hilda Corney for £2700
In 1961, an application for subdivision of the rear of 22 Meredith St was approved. The land at the rear of 22 Meredith Street was sold together with the rear of 24 Meredith Street to create a lot with street frontage to Broughton Road. The vacant land was was sold for £1250 by Hilda Corney to Gordon and Wilfred Makin, radio engineers.
In 1968, Hilda Corney sold 22 Meredith Street to Judith Harris for $18,700. In more recent times, the house was renamed ‘Linleigh’.