By Cathy Jones
‘Seeroma’ 6-8 Elwin Street Strathfield is built on the Bushy Hill Estate.
Construction of the house was approved in October 1921 for its owner Henry Neil Seears (1873-1926), a grazier. The house was described as a brick bungalow of six or more rooms at an estimated value of £1550. The builder was M C Groat, Patterson Street Concord.
Seears died in 1926 and the house transferred to his widow, Elizabeth. In 1931 the house was sold to Claude Percival Taubman (d.1970), paint manufacturer, for £2500. Nathanial Taubman (1864-1931) established Taubman’s Ltd, paint and varnish manufacturers with his brother George. In 1914, George Taubman sold his interest in the firm and with his son Claude, formed the Sterling Varnish Company.
Taubman was still listed as the owner and occupant in the mid-1960’s.
Death of Mr N J Taubman (1931, December 22). The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954), p. 13. Retrieved September 17, 2020, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1682727
Department of Valuer-General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory 1920-1932
Strathfield Council Building Register
Walsh, G. P., ‘Taubman, George Henry (1862–1938)’, Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/taubman-george-henry-8750/text15329, published first in hardcopy 1990, accessed online 17 September 2020.