By Cathy Jones
Redmyre Road Strathfield is the boundary between the 1808 James Wilshire land grant and the Thomas Rose land grant of 1793.
The Wilshire land grant was subdivided in 1867 as the “Redmire Estate”. Redmire is the original name of Strathfield. The name of the suburb changed after Strathfield Council was incorporated in 1885.
Originally Redmyre Road included The Boulevarde and was known as Redmyre Boulevarde. The roads were later separated.
Redmyre Road contains a historic streetscape which unifies the streetscape, which contains a mixture of Victorian and many early twentieth century residences and large gardens. The streetscape retains an outstanding visual quality, with the co-dominant Brush Box and Camphor Laurels forming a memorable avenue. These two tree species are integral components of the Strathfield landscape, creating a distinctive unified character and sense of place.
This road was historically an important professional route from Strathfield Railway Station to Rookwood Cemetery. The opening of Centenary Drive in 1985 blocked entry to Rookwood Cemetery from Barker Road. In the early 1970s Redmyre Road was plagued by large trucks travelling to Sydney Markets at Flemington. A traffic island, planted with Jacaranda Trees, was created in the early 1970s as a device to stop heavy trucks travelling to and from the Markets.
The section of Redmyre Road (facing north) from Homebush Road to Elva Street (nos 21 to 67) are mainly federation styled housing, most built between 1910-1914. This section is part of the ‘Kings Estate’, which was subdivided c.1903, creating residential lots on Churchill Avenue, Homebush Road and Redmyre Road.
The section of Redmyre Road (facing south) from Homebush Road to Vernon Street (nos 34 to 70) is part of the ‘Mount Vernon Estate’, a subdivision of land owned by John and Donald Vernon. Donald was the NSW Traffic Manager of NSW Railways, while John was the NSW Auditor General. Both their homes ‘Parkstone’ and ‘Springfield’ have since been demolished. The Vernon’s subdivided their land c.1880 as the ‘Mount Vernon Estate’, which created Vernon Street, Brunswick Street (then called Redmyre St) and lots on Redmyre Road and Homebush Rd. This section of Redmyre Road contains a mixture of styles including Victorian villas (64 to 70 – all built between c.1892-1895), Council’s former Baby Health Clinic (52 Redmyre Road built 1946) and Strathfield Croquet Club (50 Redmyre Road).
Land lots between Homebush Road and Chalmers Road on the south side was created by the subdivision c.1880 of the Bushy Hill Estate, itself a subdivision from the larger Redmire Estate.
Land located on the northern side of Redmyre Road between Homebush Road and Chalmers Road was part of the original Thomas Rose grant.
‘Goldwell’ 29 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Glenthorne’ 31 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Boncie’ 33 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Selbridge’ 35 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Kenmare’ 37 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Rotoite’ 39 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Waroo’ 43 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Cheltenham’ 45 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Cora Lynn’ 47 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Kooyong’ 49 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Gunnamatta’ 51 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Libertos’ 53 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Mahoatte’, 55 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Craigenvar’ 57 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Yaami’ 63 Redmyre Road Strathfield
65 Redmyre Road Strathfield
67 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Halloween’ 69 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Arcadia’ 70 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Telarah’ 72 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘The Retreat’ 73 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Bleakley’ 74 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Carthona’ 76 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Glenthorpe’ 78 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Lowanna’ 82 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Arkoon’ 83 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Allerton’ 91 Redmyre Road Strathfield
‘Wirrulda’ 102 Redmyre Road Strathfield
© Cathy Jones 2019
Except as permitted by the copyright law applicable to you, you may not reproduce or communicate any of the content on this website, including files downloadable from this website, without the permission of the copyright owner.