By Cathy Jones
The Strathfield Presbyterian Church was built and opened in 1921. The Church building is located at 90 Homebush Road Strathfield, on the corner of Alviston Street.
Building approval was granted by Strathfield Council on June 14 1921 for the building of the Strathfield Presbyterian Church and School Hall with a brick finish. The estimated cost of the construction was £3000.
A Presbyterian school hall is to be erected at Strathfield. Messrs. McCredie and Anderson are the architects, and Mr. W. R. J. Cox the builder.
The foundation stone was laid on 3 September 1921 by William Affleck MLA. Affleck was a Member of the NSW Parliament and a large financial contributor to the building of this Church. Affleck lived opposite this Church on Homebush Road Strathfield (‘Gundaroo’ Homebush Rd) until his death in 1923.
The hall was opened on 8 December 1921 by Lady Henley, wife of Sir Thomas Henley.
In recent years, the Church has become the West Sydney Chinese Christian Church.
NEW CHURCH HALL (1921, December 9). The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW : 1883 – 1930), p. 3. Retrieved July 23, 2021, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article239705689
1921 ‘GENERAL NOTES.’, The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954), 20 July, p. 7. , viewed 23 Jul 2021, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15954235
1921 ‘NEW CHURCH AT STRATHFIELD’, The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW : 1883 – 1930), 5 September, p. 3. , viewed 23 Jul 2021, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article239702580