By Cathy Jones
In 1936, the grounds of the Victorian mansion ‘Howglen’ were subdivided creating residential lots facing Meredith St, Coventry Rd and Mackenzie Streets. Lots 7 to 12 of the Howglen Estate are located 37 to 45 Meredith Street. Between 1936 and 1938; the lots were sold and buildings were erected on these sites. Each dwelling was separately owned with different builders. The house ‘Howglen’ was eventually demolished and the cul-de-sac Boyce Avenue was built on this site.
37 Meredith Street, a brick cottage of five rooms, was built in 1937 for its owner W Sherwin. The builder was D J Gibbons of Homebush . It is likely the architect was H. W. Reilly. A notice was published in December 1936 that the architect ‘O’Reilly has let a contract to D. J. Gibbons, Meredith Street, Homebush, for the erection of a residence at Strathfield’.
The estimated cost of the building was £1000. By 1960, this house was still owned by William Sherwin.
Department of the Valuer General NSW – Valuation List – Valuation District of Strathfield
Construction and Real Estate Journal (Sydney, NSW : 1930 – 1938), (1936 16 December), p. 5. , viewed 11 Jul 2021, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article222921043
‘Howglen’ Subdivision Poster dated 1936
Strathfield Council Building Register