By Cathy Jones
‘Karuah’ 85 Abbotsford Rd Homebush is a single storey brick Interwar California Bungalow constructed in dark face brick, with a hipped and gabled unglazed terracotta tile roof.
The house is located on land that once made up the rear grounds of the house ‘Marlborough’ 96 Abbotsford Road, then owned by Henry Uther. After the sale of the land, the three houses at 85, 87 and 87 Abbotsford were built between 1923 and 1926.
‘Karuah’ 85 Abbotsford Road was built in 1925 for its owner Mrs Caroline Muddle, wife of Sydney Muddle. A building application was approved in September 1925 to construct a brick dwelling with tiled roof with more than five rooms and offices. The builder was A E Gazzard, of Abbotsford Road Homebush. The estimated value of works was £1000.
Sydney Muddle was a member of the Wakeford and Muddle families, early settlers of Strathfield. Muddle (1890-1963), was a salesman and WWI veteran. He married Caroline Elizabeth Hart (1892-1967) in 1920. In 1933, Caroline Muddle, transferred ownership of ‘Karuah’ to William Hart 25 Wentworth St Parramatta, timber merchant for £1518-10-4 on 21 June 1933. William Hart was the father of Mrs Muddle. Following William Hart’s death in 1937, the house was sold in 1938 to Mildred E Nicholls, wife of Arthur Ernest Nichols of Homebush, Dentist, of 47 Burlington Rd Homebush. The house was sold for £1450.
Department Valuer General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
Land Title Search
Strathfield Council Building Register Vol.3
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directories 1925-1932/3