‘Dagworth’ 39 Homebush Road Strathfield

by Cathy Jones

‘Dagworth’ is situated on the original Thomas Rose grant of 1793.  This land was acquired by the Camden Congregational College, who intended to build a theological college at Strathfield.  With the onset of the 1890’s economic depression, this plan became unviable and the College Trustees opted to subdivide the land and offer it for residential sale in 1898.  This subdivision includes land in Albert Rd [65-103 Albert Rd], Homebush Rd [25-39 Homebush Rd] and Beresford Rd.

‘Dagworth’ was built by builder Robert Finch in 1899 for miner James Hoskins, a member of Legislative Council of NSW Parliament.  After Hoskins death in 1901, the house was leased to Dr George Mander Jones, grandson of retailer David Jones.  His wife Margaret Arnott was the daughter of Arnott Biscuit founder William Arnott. From 1908 to 1915, the owner and occupier of ‘Dagworth’ was Ernest Albert Laurence, solicitor and Mayor of Strathfield in 1917-18. 


Jones, C ‘Five Federation Houses – part 1’, Strathfield District Historical Society Newsletter, May 2003

Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory