By Cathy Jones
Mackenzie Street was originally part of Coventry Road. The street was renamed Mackenzie Street in June 1918. The street was named for Thomas Mackenzie [1854-1934], farmer, accountant and politician.
Mackenzie served on Strathfield Council as an Alderman [1892-1911], Mayor of Strathfield [1898-1901, 1908-10] and Executive member of Municipal Association of NSW [1899-1911]. In 1901, he was elected to NSW Parliament as Member of the NSW Legislative Assembly for Canterbury [1901-07] representing the Free Trade Party, later Liberal Party. He also served as treasurer of Western Suburbs Cottage Hospital  and Australian Protestant Defence Association.
Mackenzie was auditor for AMP Society for many years and lived at ‘Albermarle’ 9 Shortland Rd, Strathfield.
‘Ellesmere’ 59 Mackenzie Street Strathfield