By Cathy Jones
Abbotsford Road is built on the ‘Village of Homebush’ Estate, a 1878 subdivision of the Underwood Estate. Part of the grounds of the house ‘Inglemere’ (now 2 Abbotsford Road) were subdivided and offered for sale in April 1928. Lots 1 & 2 faced Abbotsford Road and are now occupied by houses at 4 and 6 Abbotsford Road.
‘West Leigh’ 4 Abbotsford Road Homebush is built on land subdivided in 1928 from the grounds of the house ‘Inglemere’ 2 Abbotsford Road. The land, known as part Lots 2-3, was sold to Herbert Dicker, a clerk. Dicker sought building approval to build a brick dwelling of six rooms in June 1930. The house he named ‘West Leigh’ was built at an estimated cost of £1375 by builders G Setchel & Sons of Concord. The house remained in the Dicker family until 1956, when the house was sold to Ella Davies, a married woman.
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
Strathfield Council Building Register Vol 2
Department of the Valuer General NSW – Valuation List – Valuation District of Strathfield 1924, 1933, 1942, 1951, 1960