‘Tusmore’ was built in 1926 as a residence for its owner William John Coote. Approval was granted in July 1926 to construct a brick dwelling with a slate roof of over ten rooms at an estimated cost of £3000. The builder was A S Richards, Lord St, Roseville.
The house is a single storey California Bungalow with slate mansard roof form and flat roofed front verandah with sandstone posts.
William John Coote (c.1881-1966) was a member of a prominent Australian family of jewellers. William John Coote founded the firm of W J Coote & Sons, watchmakers and jewellers, in George Street Sydney in 1904. Coote was the brother of Edmund Coote, who founded in 1895 with William Angus, the jewellery firm of Angus & Coote, one of Australia’s most prominent jewellers.
Coote owned ‘Tusmore’ until his death in 1966.
Department of the Valuer General NSW – Valuation List – Valuation District of Strathfield
1967 ‘IN the Supreme Court of New South Wales.—Probate Jurisdiction.—In the will of WILLIAM JOHN COOTE. late of’, Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales (Sydney, NSW : 1901 – 2001), 9 June, p. 2064. , viewed 19 Jul 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article219985260
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory
Strathfield Council, Building Register
Wise’s Post Office Directory 1936