By Cathy Jones
The section of Burlington Road, between Meredith Street and Bridge Road, is located on Sections
11 and 12 of the ‘Village of Homebush’ Estate. Residential development commenced c.1880 in
this section of Burlington Road.
73 and 75 Burlington Road Homebush was formerly occupied by a two storey Victorian style house called ‘Dene Place’, later ‘Garthowen’. ‘Dene Place’ was built c.1891 for the Rossiter family and was one of a number of large two storey Victorian style houses in this section of Burlington Road. In the 1920’s and early 1930’s, the house was owned by Augusta Hughes and later by Herbert Henry Brooks, a broker.
This house was used as boarding house and by 1960, it was known as the Home of Aged, Sick
and Infirm Appeal. Photographs dated 1963 indicate that the house fell into disrepair with many
unsympathetic alterations and additions. The house was demolished in the 1970s.