By Cathy Jones
St Dominic’s Catholic Church Flemington was built in 1955. The church was designed by architect Kevin J Curtin and built by J. Finlay. Curtin and Finlay were also the architect and builder of Our Lady of the Assumption in Underwood Rd, which was built in a similar period. The new Church was opened and blessed by Cardinal Gilroy on January 29, 1956. The cost of the Church was £33,000 and was the first auditorium style church in the Sydney Archdiocese.
In Art and Architecture in 1955, the design was described as:
“The plan forms other than rectangular, need not be complicated nor smothered in applied ornament to prove interesting. Fan shaped plan – absence of columns – spaciousness – general circulation. Texture brick, copper roof, steel trusses and concrete combine to provide subject for the photograph”.
Architecture in Australia, October-November 1955, ‘Churches or ?’, p99
Catholic Weekly, May 26 1996, ‘St Dominics Flemington’, p14