‘Durelli’ was built in 1908 for its owner Henry Cook Grant.
Strathfield Council valuation records that this house was in course of erection in the 1908-1909 financial year. The owner Henry Cook Grant (1883-1984) a building contractor of the firm John Grant & Co Pty Ltd. It is likely Grant was responsible for the building, which he called ‘Durelli’’ during his ownership. In 1927, approval was granted by Strathfield Council for brick additions at an estimated cost of £3500. The builder was the owner H C Grant.
An auction advertisement from real estate agents Raine and Horne likely from mid 1980s (with a new house name) states:
‘Torringworth’ was constructed in 1910 with a northerly aspect to the exacting specification of Henry Cook Grant on a 1860m block. Located in the ‘Golden Mile’ this original brick/slate residence has all the features of the early 1900’s with 5 bedrooms, 3 of these having adjoining studies, grand entrance foyer leading to the formal lounge and dining, ballroom/billiard room, conservatory, family room, 2 bathrooms and modern kitchen. The spacious rear yard has a swimming pool and double garage and space could be available for a tennis court. Land: 30.48m x 60.96m [100ft x 200ft].
In 1911, Cook married Adelaide Pearce. Mrs Grant died in 1954 and in 1957, the house was sold for £10,750 to Constantin Coombes, a company director.
Electoral roll, Division of Lowe, 1949, 1954
Electoral Roll, Division of Reid, 1930, 1933
Electoral Roll, Division of Parkes, 1935, 1936, 1943
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory 1901-1933
Strathfield Council Building Register
Strathfield Council Valuation List 1908-1909
The Sun, 1950 9 Feb, ‘Building brothers at law’, p7
Department of the Valuer General NSW – Valuation List – Valuation District of Strathfield