By Cathy Jones
1, 3 and 5 Wakeford Road are built on the land formerly occupied by the house ‘Mooramoey’. This house was originally known as ‘Couranga’, occupying the corner of The Boulevarde and Wakeford Road, the home of William and Clara Quodling. Quodling was an engineer and Clara (nee Wilshire), a member of the extended Jones, Thompson and Wilshire families who lived in Strathfield in the first half of the twentieth century.
The house was acquired by builder Stephen Marsh, demolished and subdivided into two residential blocks at 1, 3 and 5 Wakeford Road Strathfield, respectively Lots A, B and C.
1 Wakeford Road was built in 1953 for its owner Stephen Marsh to a design by architect John Brogan ARAIA. Marsh was a local builder and was responsible for the building of this house. The house was approved for construction in 1953, including a brick dwelling of six rooms, offices and garages. By 1957, the house was sold to Colin Morris, builder, and his wife Lillian.
Brogan, A John R Brogan: A Career in Practice, An unpublished B Arch dissertation, UNSW 1994.
Department of Valuer-General, Valuations Lists, Municipality of Strathfield
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory