The Boulevarde is the dividing line between the original Wilshire grant of 1810 and Captain Rowley’s Burwood Farm and currently the boundary between Strathfield and Burwood Municipalities. This streets was once known as Redmyre Boulevarde, which was later changed to The Boulevarde.
Whether the name is purely coincidental, Strathfield Council adopted a program called ‘boulevarding’ in the late 19th century consisting of developing streetscape design consisting of nature strips, street plantings, sealed roads, kerbs and gutters etc. The Boulevarde was the first street to receive street planting in 1886 and The Boulevarde uniquely contains double planted street trees.
People associated with The Boulevarde
Many prominent residents of Strathfield have lived on The Boulevarde, including many members of the David Jones family.
Sarah Wilshire, wife of James Wilshire Lord Mayor of Sydney (1842-43) and Alderman (1842-53), who was the son of James Wilshire, who received the original land grant ‘Wilshire Farm’ that was later known as the ‘Redmire Estate’. Sarah Wilshire was the sister of TJ Thompson of ‘Malvern’.
Charles Lance at ‘High Lodge’, The Boulevarde Strathfield.
Dr Phillip Sydney Jones [1836-1918], eminent physician and surgeon and son of David Jones, built and lived at ‘Llandillo’ from 1878 to his death in 1918. ‘Llandilo’ was later acquired by Trinity Grammar School.
Thomas James (TJ) Thompson [1830-1917], pastoralist, stockbroker [established TJ Thompson & Sons in 1875], co-founder of the Sydney Stock Exchange lived at ‘Malvern’ [now demolished], which was located next to Dr Phillip Sydney Jones’ home Llandilo. Thompson was married to Dr Jones’ sister Jane.
Edward Lloyd Jones [1844-1894], Chairman of David Jones, lived on The Boulevarde. He died in train accident in 1894 and his widow Helen lived at ‘Wavertree’ 103 The Boulevarde and later bought ‘Cliveden’ [Illferis] for her daughter and husband, Arthur Nott a well known valuer.
Amy Vickery, philatelist and daughter of Hon. Ebenezer Vickery MLC, built and lived at ‘Lauriston’ from 1905 until her death in 1942. ‘Lauriston’ was used as a school by Presbyterian Ladies College Croyden during WWII, Trinity Grammar from 1946 to 1966 and in 1967 was purchased by the Dominican Sisters and is now part of Santa Maria Del Monte, the junior school of Santa Sabina.
John Spencer Brunton, flour miller, built and lived at ‘Brunyarra’ from c.1887 to 1901 [now part of Santa Maria Del Monte]. Dr A E Mills, noted doctor at ‘Brunyarra’. Albert Grace [1865-1938], who founded Grace Bros stores with his brother Joseph, at ‘Brunyarra’ until 1928 when it was sold to Mrs Mary Bailey who established a wedding and reception centre called ‘Del Monte’. Mrs Bailey bequeathed ‘Del Monte’ to the Dominican Sisters and it became Santa Maria Del Monte, the junior school of Santa Sabina.
Donald Vernon, Traffic Manager Railways and Later Secretary for Railways built ‘Parkstone’ in 1872, sold in 1883 to H. C. Fraser, auctioneer and Alderman Strathfield Council. ‘Parkstone’ has since been demolished.
James Inglis MLA, of ‘Billy Tea’ fame and Member of NSW Legislative Assembly built ‘Craigo’ in 1883 on the corner of The Boulevarde and Strathfield Avenue. It was demolished in 1924.
Mrs Mary Hardie built ‘Wavertree’ in 1885, who lived there for thirty years and conducted a private school. In 1916, Mrs Helen Jones, widow of Edward Lloyd Jones [Chairman of David Jones Ltd] and mother of Sir Charles Lloyd Jones, purchased ‘Wavertree’ and lived there until her death in 1934. Professor Frank Whitehouse, a lecturer of Sydney University, purchased ‘Wavertree’ in 1938 and lived there until 1954, when it became a private nursing home until 1977. The house has now returned to a private residence but has been substantially altered in appearance.
Mrs Helen Jones also purchased ‘Illferis’ [‘Cliveden’] for her daughter and son-in-law Arthur Nott, prominent real estate agent and son of financier Randolph Nott.
David Buchannan MLA [1823-1890], politician and author built ‘Clareinnis’ in 1880’s. Buchannan was an eccentric figure in NSW colonial politics, known for his consistency in being inconsistent, aggressive oratory and passionate support for women’s rights. ‘Clareinnis’ was demolished when Strathfield Plaza constructed.
James Larcombe, solicitor, built ‘Somerset’ in 1926. Larcombe’s widow Hilda later married Sir Percy Ernest Joske and he and Lady Joske lived at ‘Somerset’ until their deaths. Sir Percy Joske was Federal Member for Balaclava [Victoria] and Judge of the ACT Supreme Court. He also wrote a memoir of Sir Robert Menzies. ‘Somerset’ is now part of Trinity Grammar.
George Turner, solicitor, built ‘Milverton’ in 1914 which was acquired in 1941 by Dr Iver Hotton. ‘Milverton’ was acquired in 1966 by Trinity Grammar School.
William Beaumont built ‘Presteign’ on the corner of Churchill Avenue and The Boulevarde. Converted into a private hospital in the 1920’s with shops and offices being built along the main road frontages and the house disappearing behind the shop facades. Gelling Ave once named Beaumont St, after William Beaumont.
Randolph Nott, architect, financier and agent, built ‘Silwood’ in 1878. The site was resumed by the Department of Railways in 1909 and ‘Silwood’ demolished for alterations to the railway in the late 1920’s.
Dr George Sly [LLD] built ‘Glen Luna’ in 1888 on the corner of The Boulevarde and Carrington Avenue [now 2-4 Carrington Ave]. The grounds were partly subdivided in 1925 and the remainder sold by Sly in 1929. The house was subsequently divided into flats until it was restored and sold as strata titled units.
‘Waltamstow’ was built on the corner of The Boulevarde and The Avenue by C F Edwards ironmonger’. Demolished in the late 1920’s by the Department of Railways.