By Cathy Jones (2023j
24 to 34 Homebush Road are located on the 1878 subdivision of the Underwood Estate, marketed as the ‘Village of Homebush’ (deposited plan 400). This section contained a road extension to Homebush Road, which was established in the subdivision of the adjacent Redmire Estate in 1867. This section was formerly known as Bellevue Street but renamed Homebush Road at a later time. 24 to 34 Homebush Road are located on the ‘Village of Homebush’.
‘Allawa’ 26 Homebush Road is a single storey Federation house which has been extended at rear with townhouse additions. It was built around 1899 for its owner John Pomeroy. Pomeroy appears to have leased the house during his ownership.
John Pomeroy (c.1836-1906) was a partner in David Jones & Co. He lived at the mansion ‘Pomeroy House’, Wentworth Road, Homebush.
26 Homebush Road was leased to a number of occupants including A R Harwood, an accountant from 1899-1904, who named the house ‘Clovelly’. From c.1915 until at least the 1940s, the house was owned by Mrs Daisy Miller, who renamed the house ‘Allawa’ and then ‘Shrubland’.
More recently, the existing dwelling has been converted into self-contained flats with additional flats at the rear of the building.