‘The Parsonage’ 51 Burlington Rd Homebush

By Cathy Jones

The Homebush Uniting Church was built on the 1878 subdivision of the Underwood Estate, which was marketed as ‘Village of Homebush’.

The Homebush Wesleyan Church (later Methodist and after 1977 Uniting Church) was built in 1885. From 1892 – 1930, the Church’s parsonage was located at ‘Finchley’ 61 Burlington Rd, which was owned by the Methodist Church.  In 1916, land at lots 22-24 was purchased by the Church at cost of £450 for the purpose of building a parsonage.  For many years, there was a tennis court on the land while the parish raised funds to build the new parsonage.

The Parsonage was built in 1930 by builders W S Baker & Sons of Carthcart House, Sydney, which included office rooms and a private residence for the Minister and their family.  The estimated cost of the building was £2700. The Parsonage was designed with dual entries to allow the use of the building as an office as well as private residential accommodation.

The Parsonage is built in the Interwar Georgian Revival style, which is reasonably in the Strathfield-Homebush area.


Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986

Land Title Searches, NSW Department of Lands.

Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory 1930-1933

Strathfield Council Building Register