‘Penong’ 5 Gelling Ave Strathfield

By Cathy Jones

‘Penong’ 5 Gelling Avenue Strathfield is located on the Strathfield Park Estate, a 1914 subdivision of the larger of Waller Estate. Strathfield Park is located on part of this estate and was dedicated in 1914 as public recreation park, the first public park in Strathfield.

Charles Myring (d.1963), a bank officer, purchased Lot 33 which was land from this estate. Myring applied and received approval to construct a brick cottage in April 1928 for the estimate value of £1250.  The nominated builder was S R Party, St Clair St Belmore.

In 1940, Myring sold the house to Ernest Edward Rooste, a chartered engineer for £1325.  Rooke owned “Penong’ until c.1960.


Department of Valuer-General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield

Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986

“IN the Supreme Court of New South Wales.—Probate Jurisdiction.—In the will of CHARLES ALBERT MYRING, late” Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales (Sydney, NSW : 1901 – 2001) 10 May 1963: 1291. Web. 24 Aug 2020 <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article220326587&gt;.

Sands Sydney & Suburban Directory

Strathfield Council Building Register

Wise’s Post Office Directory of Strathfield, Enfield and Homebush 1904, 1908 and 1936.