Exeter Road, Tavistock Street, Eastbourne Road, Hampstead Road, Henley Road and Hornsey Road Homebush West are all located on the original 1806 land grant to John Fleming.
By the 1880s, this land had become part of the larger Underwood Estate. In 1882, the land on which much of the suburb of Homebush West is located (including Sydney Markets) was subdivided under the locality name of Flemington. The land and streets in this estate were divided in a distinctive ‘grid-type’ street layout. Most of the streets in this subdivision were named by the subdividers after places in England. As an example, the street “Tavistock Road” appears to be named after the town of Tavistock in the country of Devon, England.