by Cathy Jones
Strathfield once had its own ‘White House’. ‘The White House’ was located at 15-17 Chalmers Road Strathfield but demolished c.2007, creating a number of residential building lots.
The house, originally named ‘Wynola’, was built c.1894 for hardware merchant Leonard Keep and occupied the land facing Chalmers Road bounded by Barker Road, Wallis Avenue and Newton Road.
Following Keep’s death in 1924, the grounds of ‘Wynola’ were subdivided into 16 residential lots facing facing Barker Road, Newton Road, Yarmouth Street (later Wallis Avenue) and Chalmers Road. Though this substantially reduced the grounds of ‘Wynola’, the house was still situated on a large allotment measuring over 4000 square metres. The subdivided lots together with the house and tennis court was auctioned as the ‘Wynola Estate’ in 1925.
The advertisement described the house as ‘brick residence on stone foundation with slate roof. On the Ground Floor, the accommodation comprises: Wide lounge hall and entrance hall with open fireplace, drawing room, dining and smoke rooms, billard room, ballroom (about 60″ x 25), retiring rooms and orchestra dais, butler’s pantry, larder, storeroom, built-in glass cupboards, large kitchen, laundry, fuel range, scullery, second kitchen, wood and coal house.
The house ‘Wynola’ was later known as the ‘White House’. The original house was brick finished but at some stage, the house was rendered and painted white, hence the name the ‘White House’.
In c.2007, the house was demolished and the land sub-divided.
Was the site then owned by the Bullen animal kingdom people..