By Cathy Jones
Airey Park – located between Badgery Ave and Bates St, Homebush
AireyPark is named in honour of Joseph Airey, an Alderman of Strathfield Council [1917-24] who helped obtain this land for park purposes.
Austin Park – Marlborough Rd and Courallie Avenue, Homebush West
Austin Park was named in 1928 in memory of the late Edward Austin, Mayor of Homebush [1914-16, 1920-22].
Bark Huts Reserve – Elliott Street, Belfield
Bark Huts Reserve was formerly known as Elliott Street Reserve but renamed in 1985. Bark Huts was a former name of a settlement near Cooks River in the late 1800s.
Begnell Field – Madeline Street and Cosgrove Rd, Belfield
Named for Jim Begnell, who was instrumental in obtaining land for sporting purpose.
Bill Boyce Reserve – Cnr Pomeroy Street and Wentworth Road, Homebush.
Named for Bill Boyce, long serving Alderman [1954-78] and Mayor of Strathfield [1969-70, 1973-76]. Bill Boyce Reserve was previously known as Pomeroy Reserve.
Boden Reserve – Pemberton St, Strathfield
Named for Frederick Boden, an Alderman of Strathfield Council [1924-33].
Bressington Park – Underwood Rd, Homebush
Named for George Bressington, Homebush Municipal Council Overseer of Works [1906-1937] and Alderman and Mayor [1937-1947].
Centennial Playground – Alviston St, Strathfield
To celebrate the centenary of Strathfield Council’s incorporation in 1985, Strathfield Council established a new park called ‘Centennial Playground’.
Chain of Ponds Reserve – Cave Road and Augusta St, Strathfield South
The Chain of Ponds Reserve was formerly named Cave Road Reserve but renamed in 1985. The name refers to this part of the CooksRiver, which is described as a “Chain of Ponds”.
Coronation Reserve – Coronation Parade, Strathfield South.
Coronation Reserve was dedicated in 1937 to commemorate the coronation of King George VI.
Cooke Park – located between Madeline St and Chisholm St, Belfield.
Named in honour of Thomas Cooke, a former Mayor of Enfield Council.
Cosgrove Reserve – Pemberton St, Strathfield
Named in honour Alderman William Cosgrove, Mayor of Strathfield [1940-43]. This land was purchased by Strathfield Council to provide a buffer between the homes in Pemberton Streetand the nearby goods freight railway line.
Cox’s Creek Reserve – Sylvanus Street, Greenacre
The reserve takes its name from the Creek.
Davey Square – cnr Coventry Road and Beresford Rd, Homebush
Named in honour of Alderman George Arthur Davey, Mayor of Strathfield [1926-27].
Davey Square Memorial – cnr Coventry and Beresford Rd, Homebush
A small surplus area left over after the alteration of the road design, named after former Mayor George Davey. The small park contains the Homebush War Memorial.
Dean Reserve – Dean St, Strathfield South
Takes its name from the nearby Dean St. The Reserve was once the site of the Western Suburbs Brick Company [c.1930’s] and was later used a tip.
Drew St Playground – Drew St and Matthews St, Greenacre
Takes its name from the adjacent street, which was named for Harold Drew, former Town Clerk of Enfield Municipal Council.
Edwards Park – High St, Strathfield South
Edwards Park was named for the William Edwards, former Strathfield Alderman and Deputy Mayor. The park was named in his honour after his death.
Elliott Reserve – Elliott Street & Punchbowl Rd, Belfield
Takes its name from the adjacent street, which was named after the Elliott Estate on which the street and reserve is located.
FitzgeraldPark – Broughton Rd and Abbotsford Rds, Homebush
Named in honour of James Fitzgerald who was Strathfield Council’s Overseer of Works [1888 – 1918].
Ford Park – James St, Strathfield South
FordPark was named in honour of Ebenezer Ford [d.1932]. Ford was Mayor of Enfield [1915-17, 1920-29] and is credited for the straightening of theCooksRiver.
Florence Reserve – Florence St and Albyn Rd, Strathfield
Florence Reserve was created by Strathfield Council when a decision was taken to block access from Albyn Rd into Florence St, thereby creating a cul-de-sac. Takes its’ name from the adjacent street, which is believed to be named after the ‘Florenceville’ Estate owned by H. A. Allen c.1875.
Freshwater Park – Ada Avenue, Strathfield South
Freshwater Park was created named after William Freshwater, Strathfield Council’s head gardener from 1887 to 1929.
Humphries Reserve – Homebush Rd, Strathfield South
Named in honour of Bertie Conick Humphries, Strathfield Municipal Council Alderman [1952-63]. Humphries Reserve is owned by Sydney Water as it is part of the site of the Sydney Water Supply but Strathfield Council cares and maintains the reserve .
HudsonPark – Arthur Street and Mitchell Rd, Homebush West
Named in honour of Colin Hudson, a former Mayor of Strathfield [1944-49]. Alderman Hudson served on Strathfield Council from 1941 to 1952 and once held the record as longest serving Mayor. HudsonPark was once known as ‘Hampstead Downs’.
HudsonPark Golf Course – Arthur St, Homebush
Named for Colin Hudson, Mayor of Strathfield [1944-49].
Ismay Reserve – Powells Creek, Homebush
The reserve takes its’ name from the adjacent street, Ismay Avenue. When the street was created, the sub-divider developed the name ‘Ismay’ a contraction of the names of his children Isabel and May.
Inveresk Park – Beresford Rd, Merley Rd and Dickson St, Homebush
InvereskPark was donated as public land from the subdivision of George Begg Vickery’s house and estate, “Inveresk” by Vickery’s son Ottamar in 1938.
Kessell Square – Fraser, Marion and Shortland Rd intersection, Strathfield
Named after Arthur John Kessell, Mayor of Strathfield [1919-20] and City Jeweller.
Laker Reserve – Elva St, Strathfield
The reserve is named after Henry Laker, a former Engineer of Strathfield Council [1918 – 1936]
Maria Reserve – Maria St, Strathfield South
The name of the reserve is derived from the adjacent street. ‘Maria’ is believed to be the wife of early land owner, Edward Sanders.
Mason Park – Underwood Rd, Homebush
The park was named for Albert Mason, a former Mayor of Homebush Council, which amalgamated with Strathfield Council in 1947.
Mason Park Wetlands
Named after Albert Mason, former Mayor of Homebush Council, which amalgamated with Strathfield Council in 1947.
Marlene Reserve – Marlene Crescent, Greenacre
Takes its’ name from the adjacent street, which was named in honour of Marlene Matthews, who was a local resident and Olympic athlete in the 1950’s.
Melville Reserve – Hampstead Rd, Homebush West
Melville Reserve is named for solicitor Alexander Melville, an Alderman [1925-1940] and Mayor of Strathfield [1939-40].
Mount Royal Reserve – Barker Road, Strathfield
Formerly named Curnow Reserve, this reserve is now known as Mount Royal Reserve, named after the mansion opposite. Part of this street is a disused section of South Street.
Palmer Reserve – Palmer St, Strathfield.
Takes its name from the adjacent street.
Pemberton Reserve – Pemberton St, Strathfield
Takes its name from the adjacent street.
PilgrimPark – Broughton Rd, Homebush
Named after William Pilgrim, Mayor of Strathfield [1921-22].
Prentice Reserve – Prentice Lane, Strathfield South.
Takes its name from the adjacent street, which was named for the Prentice family, early settlers in the South Strathfield area. William Prentice [1838-1899], his sons and grandsons were local butchers in the Enfield area.
Shortland Gardens – cnr Arthur Street and MacKenzie Street
Named in honour of Alderman Percy Douglas Shortland, Mayor of Strathfield [1933-38], Barrister-at-law and District Court Judge.
Slater Reserve – cnr MacKenzie Street and Bridge Streets
Named for Arthur Slater who served as an Alderman on Strathfield Council in the 1930’s.
Southend Tennis Centre – Maria Street, Strathfield South
The name ‘Southend’ refers to the location being in the southern end of StrathfieldMunicipality.
St Anne’s Reserve – Therry St, South Strathfield
Father John Joseph Therry original land grant in 1837 is referred to as the Village of St Anne’s, which is designed around St Anne’s Catholic Church, built in 1864. The reserve is located within this village area.
Strathfield Park – Homebush and Chalmers Roads, Strathfield
Strathfield Park was the first public park in Strathfield and dedicated on 11 February 1914.
Sutherland Gardens – cnr Kessell Avenue and Fraser Streets
Named for Keith Sutherland, Alderman [1930’s to 1950’s] and former Deputy Mayor of Strathfield Municipal Council.
Thew Reserve – Augusta St, Strathfield South
Named after Albert Henry Thew, Town Clerk of Strathfield of Strathfield Municipal Council [1911-1938].
Todman Gardens – Oxford Rd, Strathfield
Named after George Todman [1849-1924], tobacco merchant and prominent early resident of Strathfield.
Wallis Reserve – Wallis Avenue, Strathfield
Named in honour of Frederick Wallis, Mayor of Strathfield [1923-24].
Wentworth Reserve – Wentworth Rd, Homebush
Wentworth Reserve takes its name from the adjacent street, which was named for D’Arcy Wentworth [1762? – 1827], an early settler of Homebush and prominent medical practioner and public servant in early NSW history.
Frank Zions Reserve – cnr Mitchell and Karuah Sts, Strathfield
This reserve was dedicated by Strathfield Council in 1997 and is named in honour of Frank Zions Mayor of Strathfield [1971-72].
Matthews Park was located on corner of Amarina and Roberts Rd, Greenacre. The park was named after James Sandry Matthews, Town Clerk of Strathfield [1938-1966]. Usage of the park declined significantly with the expansion of Homebush Bay Drive/Roberts Road and Strathfield Council opted to sell the park c.2012.
Coronation Children’s Playground
Coronation Children’s Playground was located on the corner of Powell Street and Underwood Road Homebush. The playground was established in 1928 but renamed in 1937 to commenorate the Coronation of King George VI. The playground was acquired in the late 1970s to build the M4 Motorway at Homebush.
Australian Dictionary of Biography, Douglas Pike [ed], Melbourne University Press 1972.
– Garrett, J., ‘Sir Phillip Sydney Jones’, Australian Dictionary of Biography, 1891-1939
– Howard, R., ‘John Hennessy’, Australian Dictionary of Biography, 1891-1939.
– Walsh, G., ‘Ebenezer Vickery’, Australian Directory of Biography 1851-1890.
Connolly, C., Biographical Register of New South Wales Parliament 1856-1901, ANU Press Canberra, 1983.
Delaney, [Fr] W J & Dawes, John., They passed this way: a coverage of the history of the first 100 years of progress in the parish of St Mary’s Concord 1870-1890, Devonshire Press,Sydney, 1970
Digby, Everard [ed], Men of Mark, 1899
Emilsen, Susan., Dancing on St Dom’s Plot: A History of Santa Sabina and Santa Maria Del Monte, Santa Sabina College Limited, 1994
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Council Heritage Study, 1986
Gibbons, Y., Oral history of Bruce Ward, Mayor of Strathfield [1960-62], Strathfield Council, 1993.
Gibbney & Smith, Australian Dictionary of Biography: Biographical Register 1788-1939, AustralianNationalUniversity, 1987.
Howe, Geoff., ‘An anti-pollution pioneer’, Heart of the City, Hippo Books,Sydney, 1998.
Innes, D., The Story of Golf in NSW 1851-1987,New South Wales Golf Association 1987.
Jones, M., Oasis in the West, Allen & Unwin, 1985.
NSW Births, Death and Marriages Pioneer, Federation and Between the Wars Index
Radi H., Spearitt P, & Hinton E., Biographical Register of New South Wales Parliament 1901-1970, ANU PressCanberra, 1979.
St Anne’s Centenary Guide, 1985
Sands Sydney Suburban Directory
Strathfield Council Rates, Meeting and Valuation Books