Redmyre Road is one of Strathfield’s most prominent streets. Redmyre (formerly Redmire) was the original name of the suburb of Strathfield. The name of the suburb changed after Strathfield Council was incorporated in 1885.
Redmyre Road Strathfield is the boundary between the 1808 James Wilshire land grant and the Thomas Rose land grant of 1793. The Wilshire land grant was subdivided in 1867 as the “Redmire Estate”. Originally Redmyre Road included the street The Boulevarde. The road was known as Redmyre Boulevarde. The roads were later separated and renamed.
Redmyre Road is an historic streetscape lined with many early twentieth century residences and large gardens. The streetscape retains an outstanding visual quality, with the co-dominant Brush Box and Camphor Laurels forming a memorable avenue. These two tree species are integral components of the Strathfield landscape, creating a distinctive unified character and sense of place.
This road was historically a professional route from Strathfield Railway Station to Rookwood Cemetery via Barker Road. The opening of Centenary Drive in 1985 blocked entry to Rookwood Cemetery from Barker Road.
Following the opening of Sydney Markets in the early 1970s, Redmyre Road was plagued by large trucks travelling to Sydney Markets at Flemington. A traffic island, planted with Jacaranda Trees, was created in the early 1970s as a device to stop heavy trucks travelling to and from the Markets.
The section of Redmyre Road to Raw Square has been substantially altered and the homes that once stood here have been replaced by units and commercial premises such as Strathfield Plaza. However, many original residential homes in Redmyre Road are located in the Redmyre Road Heritage Conservation Area and still in existence.
The section of Redmyre Road (facing north) from Homebush Road to Elva Street (nos 21 to 67) are mainly federation styled housing, most built between 1910-1914. This section is part of the ‘Kings Estate’, which was subdivided c.1903, creating residential lots on Churchill Avenue, Homebush Road and Redmyre Road.
The section of Redmyre Road (facing south) from Homebush Road to Vernon Street (nos 34 to 70) is part of the ‘Mount Vernon Estate’, a subdivision of land owned by John and Donald Vernon. Donald was the NSW Traffic Manager of NSW Railways, while John was the NSW Auditor General. Both their homes ‘Parkstone’ and ‘Springfield’ have since been demolished. The Vernon’s subdivided their land c.1880 as the ‘Mount Vernon Estate’, which created Vernon Street, Brunswick Street (then called Redmyre St) and lots on Redmyre Road and Homebush Rd. This section of Redmyre Road contains a mixture of styles including Victorian villas (64 to 70 – all built between c.1892-1895), Council’s former Baby Health Clinic (52 Redmyre Road built 1946) and Strathfield Croquet Club (50 Redmyre Road, established 1946).
Land lots between Homebush Road and Chalmers Road on the south side was created by the subdivision c.1880 of the Bushy Hill Estate, itself a subdivision from the larger Redmire Estate. Land located on the northern side of Redmyre Road between Homebush Road and Chalmers Road was part of the original Thomas Rose grant. A number of prominent, mainly Victorian style homes are located in this section of Redmyre Road. This includes:
- ‘Virginia’ 79 Redmyre Road, former home of Frank Forde, former Prime Minister, originally designed by architect Charles Slatyer for Charles Todman, son of George Todman of British-American Tobacco.
- ‘Napoli Villa’ 86 Redmyre Road, designed by and private residence of architect Harry Chambers Kent. Later owned by William Matchett (1863-1932), a wealthy pastrolist and grandfather of Sonia McMahon, wife of Prime Minister William McMahon.
- ‘Woodstock’ 88 Redmyre Road, designed by and private residence of architect Harry Chambers Kent
- Inglethorpe 93 Redmyre Road, designed by architect Charles Slatyer for Dorothy Todman.
- ‘Greystanes’ 101 Redmyre Road, built for Charles Lawson, grandson of Blue Mountains explorer William Lawson
By Cathy Jones, 2017.