by Cathy Jones
‘Glengarth’ was built on section 13 of the 1878 Village of Homebush Estate. By 1919, the land on which this house was built was owned by James Paterson. Paterson lodged an application to build a brick bungalow of 6+rooms on August 22 1919. The estimated cost of the building was £1200.
In June1920, land was sold to Frank Low Thompson, who named the house ‘Glengarth’. Thompson was a manager of Burns, Philip & Co, but later Chairman of Matthews Thompson Grocery stores. In 1960, the 265 stores were sold to Coles. He was also Chairman of PLC Croydon from 1931 to 1974. Thompson continued to own this house until at least the 1960s.
Department of Valuer-General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield
Strathfield Council Building Register
Sands and Sydney Suburban Directory