By Cathy Jones
15 Strathfield Avenue Strathfield is built on Lot 4 (DP 17557) of the subdivision of the grounds of ‘Strathfield House’, from the estate of Joseph Vickery. In June 1937, land was transferred from the executors Joseph Vickery to Mrs Winifred Malcolm, ‘Ashmore’ 1 Elsie Street (corner Dickson St), Homebush for £696. Mrs Winifred Malcolm (formerly Fitzgerald) (1892-1978) was widowed with the death of her husband, Alfred Niebel Malcolm (1890-1936), suddenly leaving three children Dorothy (1920-1977) (later Devereaux), Cleland Niebel Malcolm, a stock and share broker, and Barbara Malcolm. Following her husband’s death, she purchased the land in Strathfield Avenue with the intention of building a new house.
In August 1938, Mrs Malcolm lodged an application to construct a brick dwelling with a tiled room of 7 rooms+ at an estimated value of £1700. The builder of the house was J A Scott of Five Dock. The design is attributed to the architect John Brogan.
By 1951, ownership of the house was transferred to Mrs Rose McKnight.
Department of Valuer-General, Valuation Lists, Municipality of Strathfield
Family Notices (1936, February 6). The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW : 1931 – 1954), p. 6. Retrieved July 11, 2021, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article246492844
Fox & Associates, Strathfield Heritage Study, 1986.
NSW Electoral Roll, Electorate of Lowe, 1949
Strathfield Council Building Register