by Cathy Jones
The house ‘Glen Ayr’ was located on the corner of The Boulevarde and Strathfield Avenue in Strathfield.
The house was originally known as ‘Lynton’. ‘Lynton’ was built by Walter Sewell Buzacott, proprietor of a ships chandlery business, in 1883. In 1891, it was sold to Barton Lodge and upon his death in 1900, passed to his wife, Mary, who continued to live in the house until 1906 when it was bought by Georgina Mathieson, wife of Peter Mathieson, a successful city businessman (tobacco, retail and property). The Mathieson’s renamed ‘Lynton’, ‘Glen Ayr’ and lived there until their deaths; Georgina in 1933 and Peter in 1954 at age 91 years.
Following Mathieson’s death, the property was sold to John Olley Sherwood, a prominent tennis player of the 1920’s. Sherwood subdivided the land into six lots, which were sold in 1953. The house has since been demolished.