‘Verona’ is located at 27 Coventry Road Strathfield on the corner of Meredith Street. It is built on the 1878 Village of Homebush estate and is one of the oldest surviving houses on this estate and in the Strathfield district. The house was built during 1886-1887 for its owner Andrew Arndell (d.1936) and wife, Amelia (d.1935). Arndell was the great-grandson of Surgeon Thomas Arndell, R.N., one of the medical officers who arrived in Sydney on the First Fleet in January 1788. Arndell joined the Postal Department in 1872, and he became appointment clerk in 1896, and chief clerk in 1904. Later he held the position of head of the appointments branch and upon his retirement was Deputy Postmaster General.
Arndell was the owner of ‘Verona’ until c.1918, when ownership of the house transferred to Thomas Weymark. Weymark sold this house to Douglas James Gibbons, a builder, in February 1927 for a purchase price of £1500. Around 1936, Gibbons sold the house to Hilda Myrtle Fulton, who lived at ‘Verona’ until c.1942, when the house was transferred to Florence Grennan. By 1951, the house was owned by Theo Richard Rossi, a company director.
1936 ‘MR. ANDREW JOHNSTON ARNDELL’, Windsor and Richmond Gazette (NSW : 1888 – 1961), 28 August, p. 4. , viewed 12 Jul 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article86044692
1935 ‘OBITUARY’ (Mrs Amelia Arndell), Windsor and Richmond Gazette (NSW : 1888 – 1961), 19 April, p. 12. , viewed 12 Jul 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article85798090
1889 ‘Family Notices’, The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954), 29 June, p. 1. , viewed 12 Jul 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article28337841
Department of the Valuer General NSW – Valuation List – Valuation District of Strathfield
Sands Sydney and Suburban Directory
Strathfield Council Building Register
Strathfield Council Valuation Lists