By Cathy Jones
‘Kama’ is located at 16 Llandilo Avenue Strathfield and designed by architect Thomas Pollard Sampson and built in 1911-1912. The house was featured in the magazine ‘The Salon’, a publication of the Institute of Architects NSW in June 1916. The house is located on land created by the subdivision of the grounds of the house ‘Llandilo’, the home of Sir Phillip Sydney Jones. This house is now part of the Trinity Preparatory School, on the corner of Llandilo Avenue and The Boulevarde Strathfield.
Approval was granted to build this house in September 1911 for the applicant, architect Thomas Pollard Sampson for the owners Mrs Clarisse Maiden (d.1954), wife of auctioneer and pastoralist William Maiden (d.1937). The estimated cost of the building was £2,500.00.
Maiden, was a partner in the firm of Maiden Bros., stock and station agents, which operated from the Homebush Saleyards. It was later transferred to Effie Gertrude Fletcher, wife of John Fletcher, a retired grazier and in 1938, Mrs Fletcher sold ‘Kama’ for £4250 to Fred Owen Cull, a Manufacturer/Boot Warehouseman.
A more detailed history of ‘Kama’ and reference sources is available here.